Students from all around the world dream about getting F-1 Visas for studying in the United States because there are excellent academic programs offered, resourceful libraries and career-minded learning opportunities. According to studies carried out in 2016, the number of international students that attended universities and colleges in the United States rose to 1.2 million. Majority of the students come from the Middle East Countries such as; India, Korea, Pakistan and many more.

Indian students coming to US

The number of Indian students studying in the universities of US is very high. The reason for the high percentage of Indian Students in the United States is that the visa policies in the UK have become harsh. This makes many students choose US over UK. At present, there are 1.6 million STEM students are allowed to stay in the US for three more years after they graduate for their training and job search. The most common visa’s the students receive is the F-1. The F-1 visas are for full-time students in high schools, universities, and colleges of the United States or are enrolled in the language training programs. Many Indian students are studying in the US on F-1 visas dues to its packages. The offers are; financial support from any source is acceptable, for working on-campus the student does not require a work permit, permission for Curricular Practical Training granted to students during their programs for internships or job, for a period of 12 months the student is permitted to work for Post-Degree Optional Practical Training employment. And for the STEM students, the OPT extension for an additional 24 months is possible.

Transition from F-1 Visas to H-1B Visas

According to studies, the number of Indian students interested in STEM fields is increasing gradually. Unfortunately, with an F-1 visa, a student cannot stay in the United States after the 12 months permitted by OPT or 24 months permitted through the STEM extension. This is where the H-1b visas come in. If some employers wish to employ international workers for a long term in their company, they can help their employees with the H-1b visas.

The transition to H-1b is as follows; a person holding a J-1 visa has to make the change to F-1 visa and then the person will be eligible for an H-1b visa. A student who holds the J-1 visa is allowed to change J-1 status to F-1 status, only if he/she wants to pursue studies as a full-time academic student.