The Labor force that was previously moving to the United States in huge number for employments over an H1-B visa is now facing various issues. Trump administration has introduced some new policies that will abate the number of H1-B visa holders in the United States by a great number. The new norms are also pushing India’s high inclined IT sector in a debacle. As per facts, 15% of the employees working in American IT firms are Indians. Most of these people have shifted to the United States on an H1-B visa. Before this year, an average of 6,500 H1-B visas were granted each year. These individuals would then serve in different industries in the United States as professionals. But now things are not that easy.
Here is the Checklist For An H1-B Visa
The ‘Buy American, Hire American’ Policy:
Trump administration has implemented a policy that forces employers to look for talent within the country instead of beyond borders. By April 2017 the primary processing of H1-B visas have almost halted.
Here are some other things about H1-B visas that have changed with the change of power in the United States:
- The minimum salary has been doubled to $130,000 for H1-B visa holders. This is both, a good news and bad. Although, it increases the overall salaries in the area but also discourage employers to have people on board on an H1-B visa. When the cost of local professional is less than one from abroad, the employers automatically switch their preferences.
- There is no more ‘per country cap’. Earlier, Indians enjoyed a high number of employments in the United States on an H1-B visa but now an equal distribution among several countries has been enforced.
- The employers need to give a fair statement as to why they are hiring a professional from across the oceans and not from the United States. They need to come up with facts that support the idea why ‘no American’ was suitable for this job.
- No computerized lottery system. After Americans, the preference is given to the foreign students who have graduated from the United States on a student visa instead of someone picked on a lottery system on an H1-B visa.
- An H1-B visa holder’s spouse cannot work in the United States anymore. This bounds most of the people with working spouse applying for an H1-B visa.
- The new norms prohibit any company with half of their employees on H1-B visas or L-1 visas from hiring any further foreigners.
Indians and Chinese are the biggest beneficiaries of H1-B visas. According to a report, in 2014, 70% of the H1-B visas for the year were allocated to Indians. Any changes in the laws and policies for the H1-B visas will directly impact Indian markets. According to reports, a total of 30% drop in visa allocations to Indians is expected in the following year. Here are the requirements to qualify for an H1-B Visa.
H1-B consultants claim to facilitate moving to the United States of America, which is a dream of all, dreamed mainly to have independence and freedom. Hence, a lot of people apply for immigration visas to be a part of this place of liberation. The US issues various kinds of visas for immigrants, each with a set of strict policies and limitations. Some of these are for the permanent Green Card, whereas some go for a work visa wherein a US based company hires you and sponsors your VISA application for immigration. This is known as an H1-B visa.
Given an enormous amount of people looking forward to move to the US, a lot of people have started taking advantage of this fact. Such people create scams and frauds regarding immigration offers. Mostly, this involves offering low-end jobs and attractive marketing gigs to attract people who are not well-aware of the policy changes. These perpetrators act as ‘so-called H1-B consultants’ and usually scam you in either running away with your money or landing you jobs in illegal or nonexistent companies in the US. This leaves the immigration applicant in the middle and ruins all the efforts that the person put in to move to the US.
How do the H1-B Consultants post scam material?
Mostly, these fraud H1-B Consultants post job offers via email, targeting the overall niche like IT professional. It lists down all possible skill requirements, making it more of a general post than a specifically targeted skill set. For instance, IT professionals required with web development, android development skills.
Tip: An open-ended job post is a warning sign of a probable scam. Watch out!
Another way to identify such scams is that such postings often contain contradicting statements like H1B visa will be sponsored as well as, down the bottom, mentions depending upon the company.
Tip: Contradicting statements in a job post is another warning sign of a scam.
Since the Trump Government has been in power, the immigration policies have become more restricted, especially after the bill to increase the minimum wage of H1B visa holder from $65,000 to $130,000. While the Trump Administration is pushing companies to “hire American, this has demoralized a lot of big companies regarding hiring foreign workers. This bill came along with another implication of making sure that the immigrants are skilled enough to be brought to the US. (Another immigration bill, the Raise Act, has also been announced by Trump in the US Senate).
Also, that there are no Americans who can do the particular job, stressing the importance of having an immigrant as an employee. People who are unaware of such policy changes often become a victim of these possible fraud provoking H-1B consultants or scammers and end up losing valuable money and efforts trying to move into the US.
What should you do to save yourself from these fraud H-1B Consultants?
My advice to all would be to keep a strict check on any policy changes regarding immigrants and make sure of them before applying for a job. Take care of the Tips mentioned above and conduct a complete fact check regarding the companies as well as the employers and the H1-B consultants companies in order to avoid scams and frauds that may cost you a fortune. It may be a hefty task for some, but believe me, it is worth it. Especially, when your hard earned money and your whole career is at stake!
Stay vigilant, Stay Safe! have a wonderful career in the US!