F-1 to H-1B Success! To Scare with an RFE!!??

F-1 to H-1B is the path hundreds of thousands of students plan on using to start their You’ve done it!  But then something goes wrong, you get a Request for Evidence (RFE) From the United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS).  These RFEs have skyrocketed with the Trump administration, up over 300% since Obama left office.  Tom from WorkVisas.Solutions explains below what can happen in this process.


Stay up to date & get alerts of new video content from Work Visas YouTube by subscribing with the button below.  Tom discusses F-1 to H-1b process in this video, which may be where you found this page.  It’s relevant to you to know what happens on your way from an F-1 to H-1b visa holder on the path to your American Dream.  Click the button to check out more informative work visas information.


That’s why Tom donates an hour of his time each week – to help America’s secret sauce stay and work in America. If you are an H-1B visa holder and have a question, please contact us on this website, or on our facebook page, or even leave a comment on our youtube channel.  The people like you are why we are here and over time, we really look forward to building a community. So start right now, click the button above and get going on your account.

Join Work Visas

F-1 Visas and their Transition to H-1B Visas

F-1 Visas and their Transition to H-1B Visas

Students from all around the world dream about getting F-1 Visas for studying in the United States because there are excellent academic programs offered, resourceful libraries and career-minded learning opportunities. According to studies carried out in 2016, the number of international students that attended universities and colleges in the United States rose to 1.2 million. Majority of the students come from the Middle East Countries such as; India, Korea, Pakistan and many more.

Indian students coming to US

The number of Indian students studying in the universities of US is very high. The reason for the high percentage of Indian Students in the United States is that the visa policies in the UK have become harsh. This makes many students choose US over UK. At present, there are 1.6 million STEM students are allowed to stay in the US for three more years after they graduate for their training and job search. The most common visa’s the students receive is the F-1. The F-1 visas are for full-time students in high schools, universities, and colleges of the United States or are enrolled in the language training programs. Many Indian students are studying in the US on F-1 visas dues to its packages. The offers are; financial support from any source is acceptable, for working on-campus the student does not require a work permit, permission for Curricular Practical Training granted to students during their programs for internships or job, for a period of 12 months the student is permitted to work for Post-Degree Optional Practical Training employment. And for the STEM students, the OPT extension for an additional 24 months is possible.

Transition from F-1 Visas to H-1B Visas

According to studies, the number of Indian students interested in STEM fields is increasing gradually. Unfortunately, with an F-1 visa, a student cannot stay in the United States after the 12 months permitted by OPT or 24 months permitted through the STEM extension. This is where the H-1b visas come in. If some employers wish to employ international workers for a long term in their company, they can help their employees with the H-1b visas.

The transition to H-1b is as follows; a person holding a J-1 visa has to make the change to F-1 visa and then the person will be eligible for an H-1b visa. A student who holds the J-1 visa is allowed to change J-1 status to F-1 status, only if he/she wants to pursue studies as a full-time academic student.